WordPress vs Custom Coded Website
WordPress vs Custom Coded Website Creating a new website for your business can feel like a huge step and requires a great deal of planning. You must ensure that you make the right decisions on fundamentals such as branding and website design.
Kelly Pierduta (Posted a month ago)
Choosing whether to create a custom website or use a platform like WordPress is one of those decisions that we see our business clients struggle with here at Accentuate.
So, what are the pros and cons of using each? Should you choose WordPress or a custom-coded website? Let’s find out.
WordPress is a platform that allows people to build their own websites. There’s both a free, open-source version for bloggers and a paid version for serious businesses. Many businesses choose to build their website using WordPress because it doesn’t require you to write complicated code.
- It’s ideal for lower budgets. Although you will still need to invest in a business domain name, hosting, and buying or developing a theme, the costs are less than building a custom website from scratch.
- It takes less time to develop. Because the CMS system has already been developed and requires less coding or tweaking, you will be able to get your new business website online quickly.
- It’s easy to use (and update!). WordPress is extremely user-friendly, and it doesn’t take long to master. You can also update many elements of your website yourself without needing further support. We can provide training if required.
- It’s great for SEO. You can download various plugins like Yoast or RankMath to help you stay on top of your SEO strategy and rank higher on search engines.
- It needs to be continually maintained and updated. You can’t just set up the website and leave it but will have to ensure that any theme, plugin, or PHP updates have been installed and applied. If you forget to do this, your website could become more vulnerable to hackers or other security issues.
- It doesn’t offer foolproof security. Although WordPress continually upgrades its security features, a serious attack on the platform could compromise sensitive data.
Custom Website Development
If you’d prefer a bespoke website or cannot find everything you need with a WordPress site, you might decide to create a custom-coded website for your business.
These tend to be developed for successful businesses or startups who prioritise quality over cost and are looking to represent their brand message every step of the way.
To create your custom-coded website, we use programming languages and frameworks to design and build an outstanding website that meets your unique needs.
- It’s more secure. You have complete flexibility when it comes to design and builds. We can create a high-performing website that incorporates your brand design, helps you stand out from the crowd, and drives conversions.
- It helps boost your rankings. Unlike WordPress sites, a custom-built website only contains the code that your website needs, without the unnecessary ‘bloat’. This boosts your page load speed, makes your site more SEO-friendly, and helps you rank higher on Google.
- It can grow with you. As your business grows, you can easily tweak your website or redesign your website by contacting us.
- You’ll get more support. Should you have a problem or find a bug, we will be here to answer your questions and help your website stay fully functional.
- It will take longer to build your website. Custom-built websites tend to take longer to build than those created using WordPress. We work on 3-month timescales (subject to demand). Contact us to find out more.
- It can be more expensive. Our expert web designers and web developers will customize your website to your needs which takes more time and therefore costs more.
When choosing between a WordPress website or a custom-coded website for your business, take time to consider your needs before you come to a decision.
Both offer distinct advantages and disadvantages which can help your business attract online traffic and make the conversions you deserve.
If you have any questions, contact us today. We’re a friendly bunch and more than happy to help.